By Brittany Anas
The red carpet at the 2013 Oscars show was a fashion parade complete with winter white gowns, cascading dress trains and soft, bouncy, side-swept curls. Most of the stars flaunted classic, romantic styles — with nude and champagne dress colors and dangling diamond earrings. We think Jessica Chastain said it best when she described her old Hollywood, copper-colored Armani Prive dress by saying: “I definitely think it was a happy birthday, Mr. President kind of dress.”
Then, there were a few of our favorite stars who broke from the fashion script: Reese Witherspoon wore a vivid blue, structured Louis Vuitton gown and 9-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis carried a playful Prada puppy purse.
But here’s what the Oscars really taught us about fashion.
• We can wear our necklaces backwards … on purpose! Both Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence were backward-thinking with their necklaces, letting the jewels sparkle on their backs and adding interest to their dresses. We think Lawrence wore it best because Hathaway’s necklace looks like a mistake with her criss-crossed dress backing.
• We can pin brooches in our hair. Sandra Bullock gets the award for most creative hair accessories. She pinned a brooch in her hair and it doubled as a sparkly barrette.
• We can wear white in the winter. Call it “champagne” or “cream” or “marshmallow white.” Stars like Zoe Saldana and Charlize Theron wore shades of white that look crisp and fresh — yet appropriate for winter.
• We can carry tiny hard-cased clutch purses: Kerry Washington, Jane Fonda and Jennifer Anniston all carried miniature clutch purses that almost resemble sunglasses cases.
Other articles you might also like:
• Botany 101: How to wear floral prints
• Like Michelle Obama’s bangs? Try out the look with clip-in bangs
• Spring’s freshest perfumes + interesting fragrance tips
• Nautical and nice: 7 ways to get in on the spring trend for cheap
• 3 Grammys stars we suspect broke the no-cleavage rule
• Rules for shopping the clearance racks and where to find this month’s best sales