By Brittany Anas
Personal trainers will agree that the key to sticking with an exercise schedule is to have fun with it and mix up your routines so you don’t get stuck in a boring rut. There are some super-awkward exercise inventions out there. Exhibit A: The As-Seen-on-TV Shake Weight from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
But, there are also some fun, innovative exercise pieces that would be fun additions to your spring and summer work-outs — and they are good on your joints. If you’ve got some extra money coming in from your tax refund, consider investing it in a new work-out toy that will help you reach your fitness goals.
• Kangoo Jumps: We want to wear these to our next pick-up basketball game to help us dunk. But, for real, when you go for a run and your feet are pounding the pavement, your knees and joints are absorbing that shock. Studies show these kangaroo-like shoes help you reduce impact to your ankles, shins and knees by up to 80 percent. ($229)
• ElliptiGo: Like the elliptical at your gym? How cool would it be if you could uproot it and take it for a spin along your favorite trail? The ElliptiGo is an outdoor elliptical-bike hybrid that allows you to do just that, with lower impact on your knees than actual running. ($1,799)
• Trampoline: Remember how fun it was to jump on a trampoline when you were a kid? Turns out, it’s not just fun and games. The piece of equipment can help you tone your butt, legs, back and abs. The Stamina In Tone Plus Rebounder helps you get in a low-impact cardio work-out. You can add the resistance tubes to strengthen your arms, back and chest. The electronic fitness monitor helps you track how fast your jumping and how many calories you’ve burned. (Dick’s Sporting Goods for $79.99)
• Perfect Push-Up: Rotating handles reduce joint strains and engage more of your muscles than if you were just doing an old-fashioned push-up drill. The ball bearing system provides comfortable rubber grips. Keep them in your living room and do push-ups during commercials the next time you sit down to watch your favorite show. (Wal-Mart for $19.27).
Other articles you might also like:
• Happy Margarita Day! 3 low-cal recipes to help you celebrate
• What to wear to look 10 pounds thinner
• How to eat like the French
• Lifeguarding to pro football offers: Who were America’s fittest presidents?
• Face-time: Simple ways to get a more youthful look
• Five things you’re doing to your hair that make your stylist want to scream