By Aimee Heckel
Maybe it’s not your year to plan a full-scale summer vacation, but you still need a break from the day-to-day.
Make the most of your “staycation” (that is, a mini vacation at, or nearby your home) with these fun and money-saving tips:
1. Make a home spa. Unplug, relax and refresh your body and mind by planning an at-home spa-cation. If you can afford it, hire someone to clean your house. Pick up a coconut candle that smells like the beach, like this Tahiti Coconut and Taire Flower Tocca candle at Sephora, $38.
Start the day with yoga. Check out these top-selling yoga DVDs from Gaiam.com. Right now, get 99 cent shipping on every order, so pick up a new yoga mat, too. And select eco-yoga clothing is 20 percent off, so if you’re going for the full home splurge, you can do it and save big.
Check out these 13 DIY at-home spa tips from Glamour, and pick your favorites.
2. Visit somewhere new in your state. Isn’t it funny when out-of-state visitors ask what sites to see in your state and you don’t know? Talk about taking something for granted. Go see those sites at last. Be a tourist in your home town. Learn about its history.
Not sure where to start? Call your town’s visitor bureau and play dumb. Or take a map of your state, close your eyes and point.
3. Go on a mini photo adventure. Bring your iPhone (fully stocked with the best photo apps, like Camera+, Snapseed and a 360-degree lens app) and go on a long photo walk, with no agenda other than to appreciate what’s right in front of you. Go on a flower hunt, a wildlife search or walk through the city and notice the little quirks that you walk past every day.
4. Do the thing you always want to do but don’t have time for. Plant that garden. Go see a drive-in movie. Take a whole day to slowly paint a picture. And throughout, make sure you turn off your technology and avoid chores — at all costs! After all, this is a staycation.
Your bike doesn’t have to be anything fancy. Find some great road and mountain bikes for yourself and your family at Walmart.
6. Whether you’re traveling near or far, always check out the travel deals and discounts online. Pick retailers with Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com to save even more.
Other articles you might also like: