By Aimee Heckel
Sometimes, Halloween can be trickier than sweet.
According to Safe Kids Worldwide’s Halloween Safety survey, more than twice as many children are killed in pedestrian verses car accidents between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Halloween than during those same hours on any other day of the year. In addition, one in nine adults let their children ages five and younger go trick-or-treating alone without adult supervision, according to the survey.
Parents: Just because your child is dressed up like a superhero does not mean he is one.
Here are some important things to remember to keep your kids safe this Halloween:
1. Don’t rely on older siblings or teenagers to keep your young children safe. They may be easily distracted, especially on this exciting holiday. Safe Kids recommends all children 12 and younger have adult supervision.
2. Make sure the costume is safe. Beware of masks that can inhibit vision, long fabrics that could trip your child, dark colors that may not be easily seen in the dark and weapons or sharp objects. Instead of a mask, opt for face paint.
3. Consider attaching a small GPS tracker to their costume. Locca makes the world’s smaller tracker, with an emergency button, speed dialing and microphone and speakers, and LED flashlight, waterproof features and more. This makes it easy for your kids to contact you, and it also gives you a real-time update of where your kids are at all times.
4. Check out Sears’ tips for Halloween safety. On the list — make sure your child’s shoes are comfortable and give him a flashlight, LED lantern or light stick. Add reflective strips to treat bags and costumes, too. This LED Coleman lantern, $48.99, would go great with a ghoulish costume, while providing enough light to help your kids see where they’re going and help cars see them.
5. Drive slowly and safely on Halloween night if you are driving your kids from door to door. If you don’t drive, make sure your kids stay on the sidewalks and pathways.
Save more money on purchases for your babies and kids with these coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy: